Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Soy Meat that Will Fool You and Everyone Else

I recently made this for Pete and he couldn't believe it wasn't meat.



  • Olive oil

  • Fresh Italian parsley

  • 1 red pepper, diced

  • 1 package Lightlife Smart Ground (you can find this in the refrigerated vegetarian section of your grocery store)

  • 1/2 cup Red Wine

  • 1/4 cup Fennel seeds

  • 3 eggs

  • Salt and Pepper to taste

    -------------------------------

  1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.

  2. Add fresh Italian parsley and red pepper.

  3. Add some salt and pepper

  4. Wait a minute or so and add package of the soy meat. Stir.

  5. Add red wine and wait a minute for the meat to absorb the wine,

  6. Add fennel seeds.

  7. Whisk three eggs in a small bowl and add to meat. Stir immediately so that the meat absorbs the egg.

  8. Add more salt and pepper,
You can use this as a base for Shepherds Pie or as a filling for Stuffed Peppers, Nachos (with chips and cheddar cheese) and its also great alone and is a perfect high protein breakfast! Today I ate about a 1/2 cup of this and had tons of energy for the gym.

**As a variation to this recipe, if you add cinnamon to the meat, skip the eggs and add tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese instead, it makes a great meat sauce over pasta. I got the idea of cinnamon from my mom who makes a Greek meat sauce with cinnamon. I missed her meat sauce terribly and developed this one to replace it.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I love making my own veggie/vegan versions of comfort foods I grew up on. I do a vegan Irish soda bread, adapted from my grandmother's recipe, that everyone loves. Though now that I'm all into the sweet cream butter, I think it'd kick ass made with that.
Love those crumbles, too. I'm going to try your cinnamon version.

Pamela Levingston said...

am so glad to find you cause I'm the steak lover who is about to marry a vegetarian man. I'm kicking and screaming that I want my meat, but I'm willing to try some vegetarian dishes. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking for a something called Neat Sauce for spaghetti. QP